Elder Matthew Gummow

Monday, April 21, 2014

Easter/ the path is not easy



"This was a great week and a great Easter!  President Blickenstaff and Sister Blickenstaff came to our sacrament this week and they gave us nice Easter candy and both bore testimony of the resurrection.  It was a good meeting too.  Our investigator L... came!!!!! He was awesome too!!!  He passed his interview this week and he should be getting baptized next week!!!  He progressed super fast and he's still doing really awesome!!!

This week we also had a bunch of awesome miracles.  We were struggling to find new investigators all week but this Sunday we had two new ones come to Church.  They were awesome too, and one kid feels super golden!!! He said we could meet with him anytime this next week and that he could come to the baptismal service this week!!!  And he has a goal himself for the 24th now!!!

The highlight of all the events this week was probably the H.. family though.  They are a super awesome family.  But they are less-active right now.  The family thought going to Church was too tiring and they got offended by something they saw one of the members doing before and they just left the Church.  Now it's been 10ish years almost...a long time.  Last night we had one of the most powerful lessons I've ever had on my mission and almost the whole family was crying as well as the missionaries there.  There was no doubt that the Lord wanted them back in the Church.  I just couldn't get it though - the Dad still would not budge, he had an unshakable testimony of the Book of Mormon and the Church but he still would not step up and take the plate of an active member.  It made me think of myself and how there were things as a missionary that I was just like him.  I know the what's right and I've felt it in my life and I know what I'm supposed to do but that gap between knowing and doing is huge and it's not easy to cross.  The more we dedicate ourselves, the more we are blessed, but it takes true faith first.

If this man could just take the step of taking 3 hours off on Sunday and going to a Church service, you could plainly see how much it would bless his 4 kids, who need truth and direction in their lives.  How much it could bless hundreds of others if he would just take the step and get his 3 sons on missions.  How much it would bless the posterity of all his Children and the generations to come.

When we were meeting with him, I just remembered too that the path is not easy.   I like the quote I think that Elder Nielson said about the record in the bible of Christ stumbling as he walked the path to his crucification carrying his cross.  He said that it is a symbol to of how far God will push our limits in order to help us become our best selves. This is the plan of God for us. The road is not easy but it's worth it.  Far beyond what we can even see now.  I just feel so blessed to have the Gospel, to have God's help in this work and to be able to work in such a great purpose.

I just learned the powers of Faith and Obedience in this work and I know that they are true principles. There are blessings beyond what we can see sometimes. and they bring miracles.

It was a good Easter all in all and I love Douliu here and we are super super excited for next week's baptismal service.  It's should be good - Douliu hasn't had many baptisms recently so they're super excited.

Thanks family for all the help and support.  This work is true and so is the Church.  Never doubt it, and never fail to represent it either... I was so glad this week to meet an American on the road and after talking to him, he told me how awesome the members of the Church were to him, how well off us and our families were and how grateful he was for our examples.  I  hope that we are that way to everyone that we meet.

Love You family!!!!!  So good to hear about Sara and Josh's farewells.  I wish I could've seen them!!!  I hope you guys got it recorded or something!

Love You Family!!!

Elder Gummow"

No comments:

Post a Comment