Elder Matthew Gummow

Monday, March 17, 2014

They don't celebrate St. Pat's day in Taiwan....


Elder Gummow is learning and growing in Douliu!  He sent some very kind words in his birthday message to me this week!  What I wouldn't have given to hear those words when he was in High School!  to all those mothers with teenagers -  There is hope!!
He sent a few pictures but it looks like they were battling some sun in their eyes!

Wow!!

This week was a crazy one sounds like!  There are all these crazy things going on at home and Sara's home in a week or two!  It's crazy I was thinking about it this week, and I just had this thought come into my head when I woke up one morning.  It was, "if I was Sara, would I be ready to go back in a week or two"  it was accompanied with an overwhelming sadness too, because I know I wouldn't and I wouldn't want to leave.  I feel like a mission is the only time I have to 100% focus on the wellness of my spirituality and my soul and to improve my self and overcome weaknesses.  I still have so many weaknesses to that I need to overcome and I NEED MORE TIME!  I see now why Elders missions are 2 years! There is a reason for that.  I can't believe Sara is so close though!

I hope the family is all okay and that everyone had an awesome St. Patrick's Day and also BRYANNA'S AND MOM'S BIRTHDAY were AWESOME!!!  Daniel, I hope you gave mom a big hug...oh I just realized it's not her birthday yet, that's tomorrow for you guys...but Daniel hope you give her a hug tomorrow!!!!  

This week was good.  We're having trouble finding new investigators lately.  We've definitely done a lot of contacting, but something's off about all of it that I can't get my hand on yet.  Like I feel we're doing something outside of the Lord's will for us, but I can't figure it out yet.  I just guess it's going to take more prayer and study and we're hoping that this week we'll be able to change our trend for sure.  

But there were miracles on the Less Active side of missionary work this week though...We've been working with two families in our ward here.  They were incredibly active before, but somehow they got offended and since then haven't been coming to Church.  There was HUGE progress this week though and a miracle.  We didn't even bother inviting this people to Church this week because we thought they weren't willing to come yet, but we're surprised as sacrament started and the one of the couples had arrived and the wife of the other couple was there too!!!!  Amazing!  It was so awesome to see them sitting in Sacrament Meeting and we were so grateful to see God's hand in this work!!

So ya, that was probably the highlights, this next, next week were hoping to have a baptism.  His name is Fish and he's awesome.  He might need a little more time though (Something he said himself).  So as of now we're working with him and hoping to find some new other people as well.

Happy Birthday Bryanna! your awesome. It scares me so much everytime I see pictures of you though.  You've grown up so much faster than anyone else.  Already 14 years old!!!!  Crazy!!!!  Hope your staying away from the boys still though.

As to other stuff Elder D, he's from Bountiful from the ward neighboring Elder Eyring's ward.

Glad to hear the news, the good and the bad.  Here's another thought - something I learned this week that I thought was really cool.  We were contacting this guy, super sad story.  He lives alone, addicted to smoking and his wife died years ago.  He said he had been to our Church a couple times before.  Actually he's been to a ton of Churches looking for peace and hope but said he couldn't "feel" it anywhere he went. I felt so sad for him - he was lacking the message of the Gospel, but not willing to accept it yet.

I thought it was funny though - as I was talking to him, he explained to me what "Gospel" means in Chinese when I told him that was what we were sharing.  Gospel is "fuyin" in Chinese, and the "fu" is like xingfu the same root word which means "happiness" and then "yin" is the root of shengyin which means voice or sound. So basically Chinese gospel means happy voice, or message.   Super Random but I was grateful to be able to feel the power of that when he told me. The Gospel is the most happy message in the WORLD!  It's the only message that brings true hope and happiness, that only message that promises we can change and become perfect and that there is more for us than just this life!  How could you not want to share that with everyone you meet!  

Anyways Love You Family!  and Happy Birthday Mom and Bryanna!  Hope this week is an awesome one! Love You Guys!!

Elder Gummow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment