Elder Matthew Gummow

Monday, January 6, 2014

New Year 2014!

Elder Gummow is looking forward to 2014.  His email says it all!  but just a side note from his mom - I added a few links to some of the past posts.  One is by the mission picture and it is a video of the missionaries singing Christmas carols at their mission activity.  I also added a link to the Mormon Message Elder Gummow recommended in last week's email.  We were able to access his mission pictures on dropbox this week and this is a picture he took.  He gave no actual explanation, but I think he thought it looked cool and he is right!  Chupas make great giant bouquets!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!

What a good new year's it was and a good week on a mission as well!!  This week seemed to be filled with good miracles and surprises.  

First off - this week was a little interesting since we had companion exchanges twice this week, so I was only with my companion 2 days of the week.  Pretty weird.  That's what usually happens when you're first getting trained though.  It's been a while since I've exchanged with the Zone Leaders though, so that was pretty fun. You can learn a lot from your leaders!

I feel pretty inadequate as a trainer sometimes.  It's really fun and a great experience but it's a lot more like being a father than I realized.  I guess I'm more thankful than ever for my trainer and the great role model and father he was to me.  Training is kind of like the "break in" for missionaries and that's where you really grow and learn to depend on God in those first weeks so it's been fun sharing the lesson and experiences I've learned from on a mission.  My trainee is super excellent and focused though, so I'm hoping I can help teach him stuff so that he can be a better missionary than I ever was.

This week the biggest miracle happened, we showed up Friday night for a meeting with ward members (we're starting a new ward mission plan!)  but when we showed up that night,  the members told us there was a guy here looking for us.  Turns out there really was and he is super awesome.  He met with missionaries years ago, but because of sickness and stuff he wasn't able to keep going to Church.  He's super willing for baptism this time though and set a date with us this week as well attended Church.  

As far as M, we're pretty scared for him.  Maybe you guys can pray help us pray for him.  He was super good but then school finals came and he's just been incredibly busy.  We met with him this week and he seems okay - I just don't understand why he's not coming to Church.  Originally his baptismal date was for this Saturday, but it's going to have to be moved back now.  Sounds like he's been really busy lately though and we might just need to give him some time.  He says he goes to bed sometimes 2 or later lately and only has 4 hours of sleep.  Xinku him

Good to hear about New Years and all the festivities.  Hope Dad is okay, sounds pretty bad.  New Years was pretty average here. Normal - in bed at 10:30, to be honest holiday's aren't really a big deal on a mission. But it is nice to make new goals and plans as the New Year arrives.

Do you guys have a dropbox folder?  You could share it with me and then just update it, it should be really convenient.  I put the pictures from my whole mission in there so you guys can see them all.  Man I need to take more pictures... sorry about that.

Well love you family,  Hope this new year is a really good one and has lots of good changes for the better. This is my last year as a missionary, sad to think...and Sara is close to coming home too, crazy!!!  

I know what you mean about December, I had the same kind of feel in missionary work - but now that's is the start of this new year I
feel that cloud is really coming off.  I'm super excited for all that this new year brings!

Love You Family!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment