Elder Matthew Gummow

Monday, July 1, 2013

Crazy Week!! July 1, 2013

  dāng huó  
Literally: Try to save the dead horse as if it is still alive.
English equivalent: Nothing is impossible.

Meaning: Do the impossible, for it may truly be possible.


Elder Gummow had an exciting week!  I am so grateful that he is now feeling better and that he will be able to handle the new challenges ahead.  I will let him tell it in his own words from his email!


"Man I can't wait to tell you guys what happened this week.  It was a crazy, hormones all over the place, kind of the week for sure and I still feel a little shaken up from it all.  This week was the hottest in Taiwan ever - as it sounds like it was pretty warm in Utah too - and we felt it!!  I've never sweated so much in my life. but I love it! Humidity actually feels really good to me.  Wow! I can't believe Paul and Sister Kapp are back now! It all feels like that went too fast!  It'll be interesting to see that whole generation of guys all coming home here pretty soon, especially Kaz.  I got the missionary letters this week (Thanks Mom) Kaz's face was soooo funny it's totally the Kaz's personality.  Can't believe Daniel's band is getting all these gigs now too they must be really good, like really good!  Can't wait to hear them when they go Hollywood.

Hmm so this week was crazier than usual, as I said.  The start of the week was horrible!  I'll say it straight up, I got sick Monday night with an 100+ fever.  Luckily we spent the most of that night in the Church though so it wasn't too taxing, but once we got home I spent the night with chills lying in bed trying to sleep off the fever.  The next day was the same.  I was still really sick but I didn't want to stay home and waste time and the day so we went out and did missionary work - which turned out okay, but at the end of the day I was so dead and freezing and went straight into my bed to get rid of the chills.  While I was laying there and Elder R. was following up with other missionaries, we got a random call from President Bishop.  In a matter of 30 seconds he told Elder R that he was moving to Huwei tomorrow morning at 7:15 and I was going to be the senior companion and the new district leader of the area and then hangs up...... and I just wanted to die right then.  I was sitting in bed at the time with like four or five blankets covering me - still freezing and shivering.  Haha - but it was all good in the end.  Sad to see Elder R leave so fast.  We were only together for one move call and it was a little hard at first.   Luckily God blessed me.  The next morning I felt better by degrees and we were able to accomplish the day's events. When night came though I was right back to a high fever and trying all I could to stay in tune with what was going on and finish the day.  Then rushing back home to be able to rest a second, .... but we forgot the keys :(  All turned out good in the end though, 

Being senior companion is tough sometimes, it's not really like a huge change but the biggest part is leading us around all the time and so far I get lost...all the time!!  That's okay,  a little practice and things got better after that.  Plus the new elder that came in is super super supportive and continually happy and willing to do anything so he's helping us out a lot - which I'm really grateful for. (Elder Gummow says he 20 and is from Georgia)

Well enough about the boring part of the work. The people -  We met an awesome new guy this week named Ben, he's been really busy the last weeks and his brother died recently so we haven't been able to meet with him.  We actually ran into him a month or two ago and just barely this last week were able to meet with him.  He's a really prepared soul though.  His family is all Christian, and he's had a really really hard life. His brother just died, his wife left him, and he had a stroke that causes it so that he can;t move his right arm.  But despite his difficulties he's still a super happy and positive man and so willing to hear the Gospel.  Interesting thing about him is that he lives with 5-6 cats and one of them he can talk too and he actually understand's a little of what Ben says.

Also about the new mission president.  He's awesome!!  We were a selected group of missionaries last week that got to see him when he first came up the driveway to the mission house.  We got to shake his and his wife's hand and talk a second.  Mom, Sister B reminds me a lot of you which is really cool, and President B seems very professional and upstanding.  We only got to meet them for a few seconds but they seem great.  I'm going to miss President and Sister Bishop though.

Well that's about it for this week,  Lot's of big changes and I'm no longer a junior companion anymore :( miss it already :)  Things are still going awesome here in Zhongming though and I love this place more and more every week.  I really hope I stay here for awhile.  Hopefully, I'll be able to send you guys some pics this week in a second here (Elder R has all the pictures of me from last week) we went and saw a bunch of snakes at that English speaking investigators house we told you about.  But love You Guys and hope this next week goes wonderfully well for you.  Thanks!!!

Love Elder Gummow"

No comments:

Post a Comment