Elder Matthew Gummow

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Temple Week! May 22, 2013


Elder Gummow's P-day was changed to Wednesday this week because they had the opportunity to venture north to the Taipei temple.  They can only go on their P-day and the temple is closed on Mondays so they have to switch their P-day so they can go. This is the first time since he left the MTC that he has been able to go.  We were hoping that by some miracle, he would get to see his sister Sara who is serving currently in the Taipei Mission, but she was just transferred a couple of weeks ago to the southern part of her mission.

I was wrong last week about the location Elder Gummow was transferred to.  He is in Zhongming, not Fuhsing - they sort of sound alike... right?  Well he loves it so far and is doing well!  He even sent a few pictures! Looks like he got an extra short haircut - glad it wasn't me cutting his hair this time.  I would have been in big trouble!  Somehow, I don't think hair length is a priority to him anymore. And it is starting to heat up there so it probably feels good.  Here are some excerpts from his email:

"I'm in the south part of Taichung City right now in an area called Zhongming, which I feel like is one of the best areas in the mission.  People are really nice to us and they are willing to listen and admire missionaries and their hard work.  Also, there are some really good investigators here that I just walked into that are definitely prepared people.

Another good thing about this area is that my companion is super cool.  His name is Elder Rxxx and he is a really hard worker and has a great love for the missionary work.  He's only a move call ahead of me so we are both about the same place in missionary work which is really cool because this way we have really good companionship unity, etc.  The only bad part is that we make a lot more mistakes this way though because we both are really young in the work still.

This week, as far as miracles go...we had an amazing member referral from a bishop in another ward.  This guy, ....DiXiong. His parents just died at the beginning of this month and he found out after that they were members of this church, which spark his interested in us.  After talking to the Bishop, he referred them over here because they live in our area.  We met him and his wife this last Saturday and they both came to Church that Sunday   They are super cool and area still really young at heart so it was fun getting to know them.  Elder Rxxx and I are super excited about teaching them, especially about the Plan of Salvation and temple ordinances and we are pretty sure that they will be baptized as well.

Hmm these pictures I'm sending are of the first day of being in Zhongming, this is an RC's wife's BuXiBan (extra curricular "prep" or "cram" schools), the kids are super cool! During that visit we set up a time to go visit them and teach them English for an hour.  Really excited for that opportunity!

This week was filled with a lot of miracles but as well, very tiring. I think I'm still getting adjusted to this new area, and we skipped Preparation day this week, so I was a little extra tired but I was really ready for the temple and some rest today.  It was a great visit and I enjoyed being back at the temple again after such long a time.  

This area is looking really great and Elder Rxxxx and I are really looking forward to what's coming up these next few weeks.  It's going to be a lot of fun for sure.  I just hope I'll stay in this area for awhile. I'm ready to settle down in a place for a bit.  

Thanks for the update again this week, glad to hear how good the kids are doing.  Sounds like Dan is doing awesome too, I can't wait til he's a missionary himself  - I can't imagine how awesome of a missionary he would be!  
  
Well, love you guys so much and thanks for all your love and support.  Happy Birthday to Sara!!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment