Elder Matthew Gummow

Monday, January 14, 2013

January 14, 2013


If there is beauty in character, there will be harmony in the home
 If there is harmony in the home, there will be order in the nation
If there is order in the nation, there will be peace in the world

Chinese Proverb

*Note from mom:  There has been some concern about the re-posting of missionaries emails on social media because of privacy issues regarding personal information and other potential mis-use of information.  While I have always had permission from Elder Gummow to post his emails and have tried to edit out any info which might identify the people he is teaching, I am going to be more cautious in future posts.  I will not be re-posting the entirety of his letters, but will summarize and  post some quotes from his letters. I tend to be a bit unassuming so if you happen to see anything in these posts that could be damaging to anyone, please let me know.  Thanks!

It sounds like Elder Gummow had a productive week this week.  He was finally able to purchase a guitar last P-day and promised to use it as a tool in their work as missionaries, not a distraction:

"Good Evening, thank you so much for the email this week!  First off thank you for the advice on the guitar, it is so true, I forgot how much playing a guitar can distract me, but don't worry either I won't let it distract... :)  The guitar I got is really small, it's like a "want to be" baby Taylor, but it sounds really good.  I got a small one so I could take it around easier and maybe take it home on the plane.  The guitars here are super super cheap though, I played this one that sounded amazing, like a 1000 guitar I played back home, but it only cost 200 here.  Taiwan is awesome!   I think I can play it for when we sing in the morning, in lessons, and on P-day.  I'm going to try to use it more in missionary situations, especially since Elder Baker has a pretty good singing voice.  Speaking of Elder Baker, we probably have only 1 more p-day after this left.  Super sad!!!  Training has gone so fast!! "

The weather has been nice in Kaohsiung, unlike the rain in Taipei, and they have had mostly sunny days and warmer weather.  He tells about going on splits with an elder from Taiwan :

"This week was super good,  I think the greatest experience was this zone splits we had.  I got the opportunity to go on splits with this elder that is a move call younger than me, so he's been here as long as Sara.  But don't worry, it's not as challenging as it sounds.  He's a native, so his Chinese is amazing, and his knowledge of the Gospel is super good too.  It was really fun to have to use only Chinese to communicate, it helped a lot with my confidence in the language and I was surprised how much we could get across with my limited language skills.  We had some great lessons together, and got to paint a house and taken out to eat by an investigator. So despite seemingly crazy circumstances all went really really well."

and an miracle story that happened during the week:

"This week we were able to meet with a couple new investigators.  The best one was there was this guy that worked in the same building as our Church is on.  We see him from time to time and are pretty good friends.  This Wednesday  he randomly showed up to our English Class.  When we asked him why he said that, he had accidentally pressed the button for floor 5 (the floor the church is on) twice today, he figured it was some sort of sign so he decided to attend English Class.  At the end of class they shared the Restoration video.  So after class we talked to him, he said that he felt like he hadn't found what he was looking for yet, so Elder B asked him about the video, he said it was good but that for a story like that he needed proof.  Elder B was like "actually we have proof"  and we pulled out a Book of Mormon and gave it to him.  He was like no way!  After that we challenged him to read it and set up another time with him.  Excited to see how things go with him!"

Elder Gummow sends his best wishes to all and expresses his love!

No comments:

Post a Comment