Elder Matthew Gummow

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

October 23,2012



Chinese Proverb:
歲月不饒
Age and time do not wait for people.
Life is short, move quick, or you get left behind.
Alma 13:27, Alma 34:33-35


Hello!!!,

My last P-Day at the MTC!!!! YES!!! I'm so ready to get in the field, even if I still barely know the language.  The MTC has been a great experience, but twelve weeks is just a little too long.  I feel like I'm coming to an end of what I can learn here.  But just finished my last temple trip. It was great! -got to go with Sara this morning.  Also two guys have left from our district already.  It was really, really sad to see them go.  But we're all going to keep in touch, and they're gonna be awesome missionaries.  One's family lives here in Provo and the other is going to BYU Hawaii after the mission so hopefully I'll get to see them again sometime.

Sounds like things are pretty busy back home.  Has the Japanese exchange student come yet? How is he?!  Hope everyone's doing good still.  And Dad good luck with the test, I'll be praying for you.  Sounds like you're working hard on studies and I know you'll do great on it.

Oh so I'm feeling better now, strangely I've had a cough for the last week, but it's not bad at all just kinda of annoying that it won't go away.  But other than that my health is back to normal, so glad!  Getting sick here is the worst!  Also travel plans...I'm leaving next Tuesday morning eight o'clock!  Then flying to LA and then Tokyo.  Tokyo will be our longest layover so I'll probably call then.  I'm really not sure what time that is our time but I get there like four fifty Tokyo time so I would expect a call around then, either that or around ten-thirty before our flight leaves out of Salt Lake.  It's gonna have to be short too, cause there's still a bunch of stuff we got to do there, I think the MTC makes sure your always busy cause they don't want you talking to your family too long...it's probably gonna be just like 5-10 minutes, so if you have any questions you really want to ask, make sure you think about them before hand.

But for the items, I would love to have my old glasses! That would be awesome if you could send them to me.  I think I'll be okay without a sweater though, If i really need one I'll just buy a cheap one in Taiwan.  Plus I don't really have much room for it.  By the way thanks you so much again for the packages, you really are an amazing mom, and I truly feel loved here.  The cookies were amazing too, I'm not sure if I have the recipe to them or not but if you have time could you send me the recipe for them.  They were sooo good. ** And maybe it's also because I'm used to MTC food.


Ahh email writing time is soo short, but good luck with everything this week, love all of you guys.  I'll be sending that package back probably next Monday.  If you have questions just ask.  Hopefullly I'll get time to write one more quick email next Tuesday morning.

Love you

Elder Gummow

**Note from Mom - the cookies I sent were in honor of their upcoming departure to Taichung.  This recipe came from the Taichung mission home in the 1980's.  My roommate's sister served there and brought home the recipe. (It probably came from the mission president's wife) Here it is:

Chocolate Drop Cookies:

1 1/2 c. sugar
3/4 c. shortening
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs 
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup milk
2 1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. cocoa
1 tsp vanilla
Optional:  Add chocolate chips or any kind of flavored chips

Cream shortening and sugar.  Add eggs and milk.  Sift flour, cocoa, salt and soda together.  Add vanilla and mix well.  Mixture will be rather stiff - drop by spoonfuls on greased cookie sheets.  Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes


No comments:

Post a Comment